Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My New Athletic Love

During the time I was experiencing exertional compartment syndrome symptoms when skating, I fell in love with another sport, downhill snow skiing. It was because of my enjoyment of snow skiing, I was able to give up skating. I was overjoyed that skiing did not seem to have the same painful effect on my legs. On rare occasions I would have an attack if I was on a level slope (cat walk) and had to propel myself using movements similar to cross country skiing and inline skating. But these were manageable.

I told myself that if the exertional compartment syndrome began to truly interfere with my enjoyment of snow skiing, I would reconsider having the surgery.

I continued to ski with only occasional problems, especially after having had my ski boots custom fitted and surgery was the furthest thing from my mind. For several years, I was able to enjoy mostly pain free skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment