Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Conservative Treatment

The easiest option to try first was to purchase off-the-shelf orthodics, which I did on my way home from my visit with the doctor. I immediately placed them in my skates to give them a try. Unfortunately, I had a CECS attack within 10 minutes or so. I continued to give the orthodics a chance by combining them with differing thicknesses of socks. Ultimately, I did find that simply ultra-thin sock liners worked best, but still offered no long term relief.


Next I had custom orthodics made at the Sports Medicine Center where my doctor was located. Of course, my health insurance did not cover them, but I was willing to pay almost anything if they would work. Again, as soon as they were ready, I took them home and gave them a try. Again, they provided no relief.

But I still had hope that the physical therapy would work. Three days a week for a period of four months, I attended physical therapy. It involved a great deal of deep tissue massage and electrical muscle stimulation in my lower legs, in addition to exercises and drills that I performed both at the physical therapy office and at home. During this time, I also abstained from all skating as rest is also considered a conservative form of treatment for CECS.

After everything, no amount of conservative treatment helped to completely rid me of the condition and my pain continued each time I skated. It was a heartbreaking decision, but I choose to give up skating instead of going through with the surgery.

2 comments:

  1. I am so pleased I found your blog. I'm a long distance runner and I was diagnosed with CECS four days ago. I've been so frustrated looking for info from real people and not the scientific junk on the net. Looking forward to reading about your experience and hopefully find some help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very thankful to have found your blog. I was diagnosed (with no official testing) with CECS 23 years ago. I had some conservative treatment, but nothing consistent. At the time, I felt that if I didn't have surgery to fix the condition, I would not be able to maintain my level of fitness. I was a varsity basketball player and a student of the BSC of Phys. Ed. Physical activity and sport was always such a huge part of my life, so it seemed like a no brainer to get the surgery. I regret it every day that goes by - I wish I never had the surgery. My lower legs are now visibly deformed due to the facsiotomy. I am still researching the condition and reading your blog makes me feel better. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete